Tuesday, August 12, 2008

One job, two jobs, your job!!

I had this long chat with one of my closest old friends. "S" lives in Cairo after her marriage, after she lived in Alexandria for the first 27 years in her life!! I needn't to say that she is not very fond of living in our dear capital where one can always experience the nice smoky atmosphere, something that we lack here in Alexandria!! Any way, she is a physician (i.e: she spend 7 whole years studying medicine by her own free well) and she is married to a pharmacist who spend 5 years studying pharmacy. Till here everything looks perfect, but the problem here, according to "S", is that both medicine and pharmacy are no more those amazing careers one should look for. Although her husband owned his own pharmacy, his income could not provide him the respectable life one would want to live. He quited his job, sold his pharmacy & worked in a certain company with a fancy office, AC & a computer where he finishes his job that needs nothing except good computer skills and fluent French and English. He earns good money and gets back home early, he needn't to work in another job(like all pharmacists do when they work with their certificate). Then we came to my dear friend, she is not currently working as a physician any more!! She teaches English in a very popular center where she earns good money, gets back home early, does not have to deal with patients' problems and above all, she does not have to work in another job (as all physicians do, even the most famous ones of them). She had an interesting point of view here, in a country like ours, when person had to work in one and two jobs to provide an appropriate life for himself and his family, you should study whatever you want (before you regret that in the future) but you don't have to work in the same field of your studies!! Go to a place where you can work in one job only till one day comes where things change and each of us gets the position he / she deserves!!!! Dear readers, please I want each one of you to tell me whether you work in the field you studied or not? do you work in one job or two? are you satisfied or not? what do you think, is my friend right or wrong?? By the way, I work in the same field I studied before, I work in two jobs, I like one of them but the other one I have nothing to do about it, I have to work there!!!! and I think "S" is right, she used to be a wise girl:)

10 comments:

Mohammad said...

to tell u the truth, I dunno when Medicine was such a bright career. I mean look at the salaries of the hosbitals! it's always been like that, but for some reason Egyptians still go for it, as if it's the faculty of millionaires not medicine!

as 2 ur question, I didn't graduate yet from the faculty of commerce english section, but I started studying a translation certificate in the AUC 3 years ago. I've been working as a freelance translator since about a year, and will go on working like that till I graduate in some months.
now tell us about ur 2 jobs!

Fadfadation said...

Frustrated hanem :)

Al 7amdo lelAh i work in a job that i studied for but with a twist.

The twist is that i was graduated as a programmer but i moved into the IT field. But, they are close.

I like my job (Thank God), i don't like my manager and i need a change....bas 3adi ba2a...everything has an end as they say :)

As for your friend S, it seems that anyone from alex has the same issue.

Meraat sa7bi (iskandaraneya) doesn't even like the idea that maybe they will have to leave alex at some point and move to cairo (3alashan sho3'l gozha).

Rabena yesabar el gamee3

Ola said...

marooned84,
Lets c when u graduate isA if u r gonna work as an accountant or not:)
As for me, I am a physician! a junior staff member in fact. That's the job I am not fond of due to the very amazing educational system in Egypt that encourages researchers to create and so,....... but i can't leave it as this is my actual career and my future respectable position, as our community point of view. But I hope that may be if i become in a leading administrative position where i can change things , may be then I can achieve what i always wanted!! Ya rab.
My other job is a private work in the same field. I like it very much because i can do whatever i want, i have all facilities & I adore my boss! though she is a staff member, a professor in the same system that i hate, but she is really a great person who has a strong desire for changing things and she is working on it as much as she can!! ed3elha:)

Fadfadation,
Al7amdolillah you work in the same field you studied:)
As for Alexandrians, yes, we all feel the same way:)
Thanx for passing by.

Anonymous said...

well you obviously know that I for one do not do for a living what i studied in college! But now I managed to sort of have 3 different jobs :D one day job (basic source of income), one freelance job (so far has o contribution whatsoever to my income, I do it for kicks and wasting time at my day job), and one dream job that is also sort of freelancing... w de bardo magaleesh menha income and i'm not expecting much from it other that doing what i like w khalas!

long live Egypt!

Ola said...

Evaluna,
I obviously know that u don't do what u studied!!
Well, this adds to "S"'s theory one more voice:)
And of course long live Egypt:)

Deeeeeee said...

My job and my certification are like north and south! Bss seriously el7amdulellaah for flexibility!

Ola said...

Deeeeeee,
Thank GOD u r happy about your job anyway:)
This adds a supportive opinion to "S"!!!

Geddo Iskandar said...

so this is my turn to comment ...

i totally agree with "S" - send her my regards :D

ana shayef hena moshkeltien momkn monaqshethom tnawar shwayet 7agat ...
1. how we pick what we are going to learn
2. why do we pick it !!


for example - studying medicine ...
azon u went to college zay a3`albit el nas thinking of how bright it is to be a doctor ...

tab law magmo3ek maknsh gab teb fe tahnwya 3ama - kont 7at3edy el sana?
la2a - konty da7`alty saydala - then 2asnan ...
zay ure younger bro keda :)

de 2egabet el so2al el awal ... 2a3`labna dont pick on basis - da law we really picked :D

el so2al el tany "why" ?

same example: medicine

hal 2 help pepole ... i guess not
wala 2ela kan zaman kol tabieb met7`arag labes balto 2asfar m2ata3 w 2a3ed yedy 7o2an vitamins lel 3yal el mesalwa3a fe ay 7eta fe mgahel Africa regardless 7ay3ysh 2ezay w 7ato2roso ba3oda wala namosa wala debana this time :))

tab to earn money ... la2a tab3an - 7aal el 2ateba2 el so3`ayarien (l7ad 40 sana) la yosor 3adow wala 7abib ...

yb2a ma7desh bys2al nafso why !

da ma3nah eno mafysh plan men 2aslo ... yb2a la yodier eno el wa7ed yeshta3`al 7aga tanya malhash 3elqa b what he studied talama 7at7a2a2loh what he's looking for ...

ya3ny 3awez floos - dawar 3ala sho3`lana btgyb floos
3awez tsa3ed el nas - dawar 3ala sho3`lana tsa3ed el nas
3ayez t7a2a2 magd zaty - dawar 3ala bla bla bla ...

azon that's what "s" & her husband did ... w de qemet el waq3ya :))

Brownie said...

hello
i graduated 3 years ago from commerce english, i worked for a while in telesales but i did not like it..after along time i got my current job, math teacher, i like it el hamdoliah but i does not satisfy me, the salary is very low and i do c it as a career.

Ola said...

like a rainbow,
How come that you are not satisfied with your job & you do c it as a career at the same time?? or you forgot a "don't" here??
About the low salary, where on earth is the "kadr el mo3alemeen" thing?? don't tell me that it's like the staff members kadr that i haven't seen any thing from it yet:)